Monday, February 6, 2012

New paths

Recently, I've made a couple of decisions in my life that will take me down new paths.  One figuratively, the other, quite literally. 

The first was quite simple, really.  I've always had a love of bicycles, ever since I started riding.  I've been on just about every type of bike imaginable.  When I'm on a bike, it's like an extension of me.  Growing up, watching the Olympics, I dreamed of riding in the high-banked velodromes at incredible speeds.  That dream died early, forgotten, as football and girls became my focus in high school.

I'm back on a bike again at 43 years old.  This time, it's a mountain bike, and the passion is returning.  I've discovered that I love riding off-road and "cross-country".  After a Facebook chat with a friend, I've decided to try a race this year.    It's only the largest one-day mountain bike event in North America, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective and not set goals that are unattainable.  Training will be imperative to completing a 30-mile ride in one piece.  I intend to keep my faithful followers updated. 

My second life altering decision should have required no thought process at all.  As I tend to over think everything, there was no chance of that.  I have struggled with my faith in Jesus Christ and God for a very long time.  I think my heart has known for some time the direction I need to go, but my brain always seems to get in the way.

Many things have brought me to this point in my life.  My wife enjoys a very strong relationship with the Lord and is active in our church.  To be honest, I've been afraid to follow her lead; afraid to let go and give my life to God. 

I want my sons to have a strong Christian faith.  I want them to pursue their faith willingly, and with conviction.  In order for that to happen, Tammy and I must be the example.  I do not want her to have to shoulder all of that responsibility.

Most of all, I want to be a better man.  Some may say you don't need a Christian faith for that.  I would disagree.  As I've let go a little at a time, I can feel the changes in my life.  Tammy has seen it also.  Now, I must find the courage to let myself go completely and grow my personal relationship with God. 

And, I know in my heart, He is the right path.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you and Tam both have blogs now. I also love that not only did you marry one of the most amazing women I've ever had the privilege of knowing, but you also share her with all of us. She has been the driving force in not really renewing my relationship with God, but more in introducing me to him. We all have our religious history, but I didn't realize until she showed me, that I had never really had a relationship with him as I had never given myself to him. I sat in church with my family every Sunday growing up, but I was never truly there. I was paying lip-service to a God that I thought my parents wanted me to know. I was later judged by that church and unfairly turned a cold shoulder to someone that never judged me at all. How could he when I had never allowed him to know me? My relationship, like yours, is just blossoming, but I'm meeting him head-on, with open arms. My childrens' spiritual foundation is being laid at the same time that Ron and I are opening our hearts to everything he has to offer. We will take this journey together and reap life's benefits as one. Here's to you getting back on the bike and to our families for growing together. Can't wait to see your next post....now go hit the trails!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly proud of you and thankful for you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete